Why are web developers, website designers, search engine optimizers, reputation managers… so expensive?!
Why does it seem that we are constantly jacking up prices and offering options when we know that you are a business that needs to turn a profit? Why are we digging deep into your pocketbook to make you poor? Why do we constantly offer more services that you didn’t ask for?!
In a nutshell:
We know that just having a 3 page website isn’t enough to make them buy. And. Expensive is relative.
Here’s my question: Why do recruiters and companies want someone that can do it all: someone that can manage, design, program, market and sell?! It takes distinct personalities to do all of these tasks and, yeah, sometimes you can find someone that has 2-3 of these skillsets, but the more important question to ask of these people is “do you have contacts that can fill in the gaps”?
When I first started out on my own as a freelancer, I hung out with people similar to me – IT background, either graphics or development experience, all able to turn around a website for clients, all doing our own accounting, all looking to find that one other person with whom we could share experiences and to shorten the learning curve.
What your web person will do for you that may not be in your contract:
- Help you determine which email service your company needs
- Set up email with the provider
- Help your team set up their email on mobile devices, laptops, tablets, etc
- Help you determine which web content management system will work best for your business
- Talk to non-techs in non-technical terms
- Talk to the techs in technical terms
- Translate these specifications into actions
- Set up social media
- Train on Social Media
- Set up training videos
- Edit your 5Mb logo into the appropriate size for web
- Edit your 15megapixel photos from Dropbox for proper composition and orientations
- Select fonts that match your brand’s style
- Research your target audience
- Research your competition
- Set up google analytics even though you don’t “want” search engine optimization
- Set up google webmaster tools (in case you want to hire us later we will have metrics)
- Make sure your robots.txt file isn’t set to block your website
- Test site:[websitename] to ensure that your site is being indexed by Google
- Create initial backup because usually you pay us and then go away, but when the site gets hacked, you ask us to restore it and “why wasn’t there a backup” or “doesn’t my hosting company do this automagically?”…
- and so much more
There are so many details to just “creating a simple website”. And, no, just using a template is not plug n play; we still have to configure it. And isn’t the devil in the details?
The more details we pull out of you (details = expectations), the more it’s going to cost. You need to determine your budget, your contingency and your future ‘nice-to-haves’. Oh – and – pick someone you trust. For some reason, there are dishonest people out there that just want to take your money and run. Really…
I love referrals and I love to share and train. Let me know how I can assist you in being successful today!